(Translation: Welcome to Junk Belly Central and Gut Healers R US)
The great thing about November is that now we get to eat HEALTHY stuff! Yep. I’m comin’ at ya with yet ANOTHER post about #bonebroth! (insert eye roll here)
No but really, last month we had so much fun learning how to make it, preserve it, & how it was healthy! Now guess what? Yep! We all can be super grateful that we did! Gut healing here we come!…
Let’s address firstly, some of the Dangers of Halloween.
No not witches, bats & goblins. Rather all the crap that gets ingested and why it is horrendous. How we got Junk Belly…
Right? I mean, who else is suffering from post-halloween coma? Wow, fun really costs me these days. And my family too. Goes to show how well we really do eat normally, that a few days of pizza, ice cream, soda, cupcakes, and store bought halloween candy can send us all into a tailspin. Although I am proud to say that I only ate 3 pieces of halloween candy – specifically fun sized peanut m&m’s, Almond joy & Snickers – and only 1/2 a piece of pepperoni pizza (bleck). For me, rather it’s the gluttony of too much *spirit* lol. As far as food goes, we really go all out trying to be certain that everyone gets a healthy meal before the fright night begins. Every year Dr. Eric & I host a full chili bar with all organic homemade chilis, both meat and all veggie, complete with a full scale mostly gluten-free topping bar. Nothing but the best before the kids bust a gut later.
My son is only now recovering from his NASTY bout with *IBS* (a stupid anagram to describe the junk belly that comes along with eating a standard American diet). Yep, because he’s a kid, and he thought he could get away with it (or maybe he just didn’t think at all), there was loads of unsupervised Halloween candy, pizza, soda, bread, muffins. In short, binge eating. He is the son of a nutrional counselor and he knows better. But truly, he was just being a kid. Poor thing.
Some succint words about Halloween Candy (aka poison from the devil meant to induce long term disease and reliance upon perscription medication in order to benefit the economic prosperity of a very privilaged few who eat none of it likely). OOOPS! sorry! I didn’t mean to get political. It just slipped out. Forgive me.
The thing is, store bought Halloween candy is just so incredibly nasty bad for you in every way imaginable! To list only a precious few:
1) Partially Hydrogenated Corn Syrup (a fancy way to say Trans Fat). I mean if the FDA is considering removing Trans Fat oils from the “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS) list? Come on! Not safe for human consumption? Why put that s*#t in kids’ candy? Lord have mercy. Trick indeed – No treat.
2) High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFCS represents more than 40% of caloric sweeterners. They “contain anywhere from 55 to 90 percent fructose and are derived from corn, a heavily subsidized (read: cheap) crop. Manufacturers love HFCS because, especially when compared to regular sugar, it’s cheaper, sweeter and produced in abundance. But studies have shown that chronically high consumption of fructose in rodents leads to [liver and systemic] insulin resistance, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and high blood pressure.” It is not the same thing as cane sugar. Not by a longshot.
For more info click here: http://www.sott.net/article/288056-The-evils-of-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup-It-really-is-that-bad-for-you
3) HFCS from GMO Corn. Uh-oh, she said GMO. Why worry? That’s a whole encyclopedia of hot topic. but I’m guessing that if you are here on Dr. Eric’s blog, you kinda know why. Sum it up with this: If the corn is biologically & genetically changed on the cellular level so that it will kill the insects who eat it, why would YOU want to eat it? On that note, the way that it kills said insects is eerily similar to the way that it kills rats in laboratory studies, by causing cancer, diet related diseases, gastro-intestinal disorders, allergies, etc. Again, why wouldn’t you also be killed? Finally, if it is genetically created to resist the herbicide/pesticides that are sprayed onto it to further resist pests, then that means that that same corn is COATED in pesticice that is again, meant to kill pests. If it will kill pests, it will KILL YOU TOO. Stop buying GMOs and you can stop buying pink bows in October. No brainer.
4) Carrageenan. Never heard of it? If you have, wait, isn’t that “organic?” Well, yes. It is derived from red-seaweed so there is nothing “fake” about it, therefore it qualifies as organic. But does that translate to “good for you?” Nope. What is it for? Why do they put it in there? It is a filler. For consistency. Usually added to milk, milk products, and non-dairy milk substitutes, carrageenan creates a creamy thicker fuller consistency while similtaneously thinning out the actual product making it more cost effective. Cheapskates making a profit off of your tummy trouble. Carrageenan has been shown to cause serious inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract and liver as well as intestinal abnormalities. Recently, “the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer and the National Research Council of the United States have deemed carrageenan to be a carcinogen” (ie: causes cancer).
For more information click here: http://bodyunburdened.com/carrageenan/
And for a list of Carrageenan free companies click here: http://t.co/Vetw41LkZm
5) Child Slavery. Nope, not a costume. This is real. “Most chocolate sold in the U.S. comes from cocoa farms where farmers work in unsafe conditions, receive below poverty wages, many of them children under 14 years old who are forced to work and denied education…The Ivory Coast is the world’s largest cocoa producer, providing 43% of the world’s cocoa…A 2002 report from the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture about cocoa farms in the Ivory Coast and other African countries estimated there were 284,000 children working on cocoa farms in hazardous conditions. U.S. chocolate manufacturers have claimed they are not responsible for the conditions on cocoa plantations since they don’t ‘own them’.” So, if you are going to consume chocolate, or let your CHILDREN eat chocolate, please don’t do it at the cost of other childrens’ well being. Buy Fair Trade.
For more information click here: http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/the-bitter-truth-about-chocolate.html
For a list of Fair Trade chocolate brands click here: http://orgcns.org/1shlX7Y
And yes, you may have heard about companies like good ol’ American Hershey’s commiting to fair trade chocolate only (more info here: http://fairtradeusa.org/…/hershey-21st-century-cocoa…). While it is true that they have publically stated a commitment to fair trade, those kinds of changes in multinational food coorporations take decades to actually take effect. In the meantime, my bet is that they are hoping to increase they’re profit margin by jumping on the fair trade bandwagon and children are still suffering. Require proof. Be safe. Be kind. Buy fair trade.
Oh, and on a lighter note, well, maybe not lighter on your belly….
6) Wheat/Gluten. Surprised? I bet. Why on earth would you need gluten in candy? For the same reason you need it in baked goods. A binding agent. Or sometimes as barley malt for that malted flavor. Just a handfull of the many candies that contain gluten?: any licorice (including twizzlers, sour punch candy straws, etc.), kit-kat bars, whoppers, twix bars, crunch bars, & milky way bars. As I mentioned above, even if you do NOT have celiac disease or are gluten intolerant, gluten is just plain bad for happy gut health. Over time it can cause all kinds of stomach, intestinal, or systemic disorders including IBS, leaky gut, celiac disease, thryroid issues, or many different auto-immune disorders. Wheat/Gluten can also seriously effect brain chemistry causing depression or any number of brain imbalances.
For more information, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUgcLQOUSA&noredirect=1
and another good one is here: https://t.co/dBAo5TRZPJ
Wait! We didn’t even get to the MOST BASIC of all the many bad ingredients…
7) SUGAR. I mean, haven’t you all seen that rampant viral facebook post about how your brain looks the same on sugar as it does on COKE?? (And I mean cocaine not CocaCola although that is really bad too.) You can find that here: http://mic.com/articles/88015/what-happens-to-your-brain-on-sugar-explained-by-science And here’s another more explanation of why it is so bad: http://wellnessmama.com/15/harmful-effects-of-sugars/ The point is, it’s bad. Addictive, disease causing, and exhausting. A quick fix and gone in an instant. Not a good source of sustained energy or nutrition. Just the worst. Period. And to top it all off, recently, studies prove that sugar, all sugar, doesn’t only worsen existant cancer, but also increases your chances of developing cancer, and wait…yep. CAUSES CANCER. For more info on that, click here: http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13456-research-reveals-how-sugar-causes-cancer.html
Ok, so now that we have figured out where all the EVIL came from this past holiday & thus how my son got so SICK….Let’s get to fixing him (and me).
This week #minidrdahl was only allowed to ingest six things (GAWD was he pissed!):
Peppermint tea (with raw honey), plain organic yogurt (with raw honey), brown rice cakes (seaweed ok), organic applesauce (cinnamon flavored ok), dairy free probiotics (read yokult, good belly etc.), and YEP YOU GUESSED IT! Homemade organic chicken BONE BROTH! woot woot! This short list consitutes some of THE FINEST gut healing rememdies known to man. Along with some acupuncure from Dr. Dad, some gentle yoga pose instruction from Mom, and more than a few jet-propelled expulsions, minidrdahl is feeling MUCH better and was back at school today, finally.
You too can recieve this valuable assitance with Halloween Junk Belly recovery! Call for your appointment with Dr. Eric NOW! 310-207-0222 (jk but totally not).
Although…NOW, the boy says that he is having leg pain and still has a lot of sinus congestion…residual systemic reaction? It’s not isolated in the gut folks; What you eat is what you are. Pervasive. BAD Allergies and a little asthma? In my opinion it’s all a result of the BAD FOOD. But that is me, Dr. Mom, self-diagnosing (Dr. Eric hates it when I do that…thus the title #mrsdrdahl! lol).
Or maybe you are like me this week. Sluggish, swollen, sore, and grumpy. When the Big Event is over, the system just kinda shuts down, like, “Um, I’m done!” I know you won’t be surprised when I tell you that my back is out, AGAIN. I have that acursed mushy bruised feeling all over my body. Happens every damn time! I have “damped down” or so they call it in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) too many sweets, excessive caffine, or alcohol will do it. Plus, although red wine is an anti-oxidant, it still makes my wrists hurt. Its the nitriates maybe? But prolly more than that. There are several other obvious signs that my body chemistry has gotten out of whack. I mean, the stress of a high pressure guest filled evening in my home, one that takes cleaning and preparations and happiness and socializing and guests and clean up? Yep, causes depletion! This week too, I’ve got a herpes blister on my chin, a canker sore on my mouth, and my hair is falling out. I’m going to have to haul my own self into the office. Gonna get me some acupuncture and cupping too! Be like me! Visit Santa Monica Healing Arts. No no, really, do. DO.
But, why worry about gut health? I mean, it’s just a stomach ache right? It’ll pass. Pop some Tums and get over it? Not so fast fastguy…
**ooooh! time out. Fun fact:*** did you know that Tums is ridonkulous? (our opinion). Tums was created to cure excess stomach acid. But most people who suffer from heartburn actually have a LACK of stomach acid, causing digestive failure and thus leaving the food to rot in the stomach. This rotten food creates acid which thus creates acid reflux. Tums doesn’t fix THAT kind of acid. What does fix that ironically, is MORE stomach acid – to help digest that stagnant food. Guess what? An actual really truly great stomach acid whole food supplement is a Standart Process product called Zypan (available at Dr. Eric’s office!). Also the kicker is that Tums’ slogan advertizes that it “is not just an antacid but also a calcium supplement!” Well, yes, Calium Bicarbonate contains Calcium, but an non-acidic environment prevents absorbtion of calcium in the stomach. You’d only absorb the Calcium as a supplement if the product was defective and NOT decreasing the acid in the stomach. So if the product does what it says it does than it doesn’t do what it says it does? Whatever. Just don’t eat crappy food.
But back to our topic at hand. Gut Health.
After Halloween, there’s no doubt that you’ve got an excess of sugar in your system. There’s another thing that likes sugar besides my son. YEAST.
You guys know that there are good bacteria and bad bacteria in your gut right? So there are these YEAST populations. They do their job by eating all the crappy sugar that you put in your face. But guess what happens when you eat too much sugar? Pro-biotics get eaten alive, and an imbalance ensues. Don’t feed your yeasts! Ladies, you all know about a yeast infection right? UNPLEASANT. So, a systemic yeast infection? What is that? When those yeasties have prevailed and have come to inhabit your entire body system causing inflammation, bloating, pain, joint pain, soreness, god knows what. I’ve had a systemic yeast infection on a few occassions, mostly in my late 20’s & usually post Valentine’s Day when I have consumed WAYYYYY too many See’s Candies. They suck. God they are delicious. So, my son and I might BOTH be having a systemic yeast infection currently. His from straight up sugar, mine from the sugar that resides in alcohol (because I am so *good spirited!*). For more information about candida overgrowth from sugar click here: http://t.co/w695qzy23z It’s a BITCH I tell you. And we should know better, but we don’t. The struggle is REAL.
But, basically, when you’ve thrown your body chemistry all out of whack in so many ways, what you need to do is CLEANSE.
Bummer, but yes. Cleanse. Start with only the above mentioned happy gut foods, or even fewer and under a Dr.’s supervision, and slowly, very slowly add back in one gentle food at a time. Keep away from excess wheat, dairy, spicy, and otherwise complex foods. You will be able to recognize what is tolerable and also learn what is displeasurable to you system so that you can avoid it in the future. BTW, Dr. Eric is really good at this kind of assisted cleansing and helping you track your food patterns to find problems. He has all the whole-food supplements to assist your body and great Metagenics detox products as well.
Poor #minidrdahl was PISSED to limit his food like this, and we didn’t even do a prolonged cleanse, only two or three days. I told him “Guess what? Sometimes what you don’t like doing makes you much happier than what you do like doing.” Weird, I know, but true.
If you have celiac disease or severe gluten intolerance, then click here for more info re gluten recovery: http://t.co/RE9q7MJGvY
In summary, if you’ve screwed yourself up, or even if you haven’t…WHAT YOU GONNA DO WITH ALL THAT JUNK, all that junk inside your …trick or treat bag? Assuming the ENTIRE bag hasn’t already been consumed, you have some options.
First: BURN IT. Not suitable for human consumption. Especially those less fortunate or in a stressful life threatening situation – they deserve better. But since our world doesn’t yet work like that…
Two: Call on the Switch Witch with your children (and yourself). Convince them to “trade” their candy with her. If they leave it out in a bowl with a note, the Switch Witch can be convinced to come in the middle of the night and swap it out for a non-candy gift that they have really been hoping for. Magic. Then burn it! Or, trade it into a buy back program or operation gratitude – see below.
Three: Ask your kids to donate it, and then take them to a health food store like Rainbow Acres or Whole Foods to buy “replacement candy.” Be sure to decide before you enter the establishment how much money you are willing to spend on this “replacement.” Teach as you go, showing them why one sweet is better than another and what is acceptible to you. A GREAT teaching moment.
Four: There are many Dentist Buy Back Programs wherein your local D.D.S. will pay $1 per lb. to “buy back” the candy in order to prevent cavities associated with sugar (wow, we didn’t even get into those issues!) The dentists then usually ship the candy off to the troops with Operation Gratitude.
Five: There are many ways to donate your candy to the Troops if you decide to do so. A couple of such programs in addition to Operation Gratitude (you can find that one here: http://opgrat.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/halloween-candy-for-the-troops/) are as follows: Any Soldier (http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm), Operation Stars & Stripes (http://operationstarsandstripes.org/?page_id=26), or Operation Shoe Box (https://operationshoebox.com/how-you-can-help/candy-donations/).
Six: Look into the Ronald McDonald House (because the toxic clown likes to give back to attone for the damage he’s done to kids). You can find your local branch here: http://www.rmhc.org/volunteer
Seven: Local Shops, Food Pantries, Pediatric Wards, Homeless Shelter, Retirement Homes, and Nursing Centers. Try to find your local Meals on Wheels here: http://www.citymeals.org/
Eight: Local Churches, Synogogues, and other places of worship.
And us? Well, we’ll be ok. Things are already on the mend. We just slurped down some more broth. And honey, I’ve got junk in the trunk all day long that ain’t goin nowhere nohow.
And minidrdahl? I just caught him sneaking a bag of pretzels in his room…DOH!
Stay sweet, Sugar!
Coby Dahlstrom (aka #mrsdrdahl)