Hi Dear Followers!
Dr. Eric and I, #mrsdrdahl, have been so busy with the SEASON (it all starts in the Fall with Football/Cheer/Halloween for us and rolls all the way through till late January…) that we haven’t gotten to you all lately. Sorry! But I’ll change that RIGHT NOW.
I think you all should know about this great side dish I made up the other night! So weirdly yummy. This was one of those great happy accidents where I just cooked what we had from the garden while thinking outside the box. Primarily, I wanted to be sure to use the STEMS of the chard as they contain so many of the important nutrients and vitamins. I managed to make this delicious, simple, AND extremely healthy side dish that received rave reviews from my family.
May I present to you:
Rainbow Chard Salad with Caramelized Gala Apple & Chard Spine Compote
1 Bunch Organic Rainbow Chard
1 Tbs Garlic, minced
1 Tbs Butter (Organic/Non rBGH please)
a pinch of Himalayan Sea Salt
1 Organic Gala Apple, chopped
1/2 Organic Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Tbs Raw Honey
1 tsp Brown Sugar (Organic Cane Sugar please)
Juice of 1 Lime
Lucero Persian Lime Olive Oil*
Lucero Pear Balsamic Vinegar*
*If you do not have these unique flavors from Lucero Olive Oil, please substitute with:
1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbs White Balsamic Vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
a pinch of Sugar (Organic Cane please)
a pinch of Sea Salt
1) First wash and de-vein the chard leaves (save the stems), and chop into good bite-sized chunks. Toss them in a bowl with the olive oil and vinegar and refrigerate. Then chop the stems/spines into nice bite size chunks as well.
2) Add 1 Tbs butter, onion, chard stems, salt, and garlic to pan on medium heat. Saute until soft and clear. Then add the chopped apple. Again saute until soft and clear. Next, add the honey, brown sugar, and lime juice. Saute a bit longer on higher heat until well-coated and caramelized but not so long as to evaporate all the lime and/or burn the sugar/honey.
3) Serve the dressed chard leaves cold with the caramelized stem/apple compote piled on top!
Coby Dahlstrom (#mrsdrdahl)
*I apologize for the continued use of the specific unique flavorings from Lucero Olive Oil, however, I simply can’t live without them! They add so much to any recipe! You can find them here: www.lucerooliveoil.com
Health Benefits of Swiss Chard:
– great source of phytonutrients
– excellent detox support
– outstanding antioxidant
– blood sugar regulating
– aids in digestion
– beneficial for pancreas
– enhances liver protection
– lowers risk of obesity
– lowers risk of diabetes
– lowers risk of high blood pressure
– lowers risk of arthritis
– high in magnesium and calcium
– high in vitamin K
– good for bone health
for more information regarding the health benefits of Swiss Chard please visit: